Saturday, February 19, 2011

More from Anne Frank

      "In bed at night as I ponder my many sins and exaggerated shortcomings, I get so confused by the sheer amount of things I have to consider that I have to laugh or cry, depending on my mood. Then I fall asleep with the strange feeling of wanting to be different from what I am or being different from what I want to be, or perhaps of behaving differently from what I am or want to be.

       Oh dear, now I'm confusing you too. Forgive me, but I don't like crossing things out, and in these times of scarcity, tossing away a piece of paper is clearly taboo. So I can only advise you not to reread the above passage and to make no attempt to get to the bottom of it, because you'll never find your way out again!
Yours, Anne"
(pg. 72, The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank)

No comments:

Post a Comment